January happenings in Granada

Life back in Granada has been... cold. The temperature has stayed below 8ºC the past few weeks, and my second week back, it rained pretty much everyday making it even colder. Not much has really happened this month. I've been keeping indoors trying to stay warm (trying since our cold apartment has no central heating). Nevertheless, a few happenings from this month:

- The Pope's visit to the Philippines made Granada's local newspaper! There was a short article on his visit particularly the last mass he celebrated.


- In my history class with the 4º de ESO, their current topic is imperialism and colonisation. After reading an English excerpt, the teacher proceeded to discuss the lesson in Spanish. I zoned off for a bit, and the next thing I knew the teacher was asking me to say something about Pope Francis' visit to the Philippines. I admittedly wasn't paying much attention (oops), but I did manage to say something about the Pope, Catholicism in the Philippines, and somehow relate it to Spain's colonization of the Philippines.

- Last Thursday Lyle's music teacher told her of a free concert they were having at the College of Medicine so we went to check it out. On our way there we passed by the Plaza del Triunfo which looked beautiful at night with its lights and fountain. It was also my first time to actually go through the park. It's a lovely spacious plaza, I definitely want to go check it out again in spring when it's much warmer.

Plaza del Triunfo
- The concert was a short piano concert by a music student (I think). He played a few pieces which I enjoyed though I wasn't familiar with any of them. The faculty is hosting a few more concerts over the next few weekends so I might go check them out as well.



- A few days ago, the sun came out (!!!) and it was warm enough for me to jog outside. As I was jogging by the river, I saw the snow capped Sierra Nevada in the distance and had to stop and take a picture. They're a bit small to see in the picture below, but it was breathtaking. I love the contrast of the warmth in the foreground with the snowy mountains in the back.


- Earlier this week, I was late to one of my classes with the 2º de Bachillerato. For the life of me I could not remember where their classroom was. My school has 3 floors, and there are 3 different staircase. I was going up and down and to all the wings, until I finally went back to the staff room and checked out the map. I had missed one wing on the 3rd floor which is only accessible by a certain staircase. Anyway, I knocked on the door almost 10 minutes late, sheepishly entered... and the class started to clap for me. A bit embarrassing but all in good fun.

- January 30th was the "School Day for Non-violence and Peace." My school set up an exhibit by the entrance, and they had a program as well on Friday. I didn't go, but I did go on an excursion with the 3º de ESO to Alfacar where they did some activities with another school, and also went on a radio show (will blog about that soon!).


Have a couple of plans for February including a trip to Belgium, skiing in the Sierra Nevada, a day trip to Cádiz for Carnaval, and counting down the days until Spring!

Comments