Antigua Eats

It's no secret that I love to eat. While I'm no food blogger, I enjoy trying new restaurants, as well as frequenting old restaurants but trying new dishes. Also, taking pictures of my food and then attempting to write about it. Antigua is a pretty good place for a food lover, what with the plethora of restaurants it has to offer. Moreover, because of the many expats who have settled down in Antigua, there are several good international or fusion cuisine restaurants around town. I do love Guatemalan food (posts about Guatemalan eats here and here), but I have it everyday during the school week, so its nice to have something a little bit different on the weekends. Below is a roundup of some of my favorite restaurants in Antigua, along with a few other good ones worth trying. :)

Pappy's BBQ (6ta Calle Poniente, #21) -- This was one of the first restaurants I tried in Antigua, and the first to go on my favorite list. Pappy's serves good smoked barbecue. The meat is to die for, and I have yet to have a bad meal here. They have a relatively small menu serving burgers, sandwiches, and meat plates, but that's all they really need. I've tried (and loved) almost everything on the menu, and it's hard to pick a favorite. But my most frequented choice is the meat plate with the ribs and the brisket, and sides of french fries and spicy corn. I am not eloquent enough to describe its delectability, so I'm going to end with these words: Eat here.



Red Koi (6a Avenida Norte, #21) -- I'm always craving Asian food, and have been on the hunt for a "go-to" restaurant while in Guatemala. When Red Koi opened in Antigua, it was on our list of must try's, but we didn't get around to actually eating there until March. But we finally did, and we loved it. I like to try at least one new dish each time we eat there, and I actually have a personal checklist of their menu, because I'm dorky like that. 

My favorite dish is probably the lo bah rice (on the right in the picture below) served with ground beef and an egg. Two things that surprised us and which we loved were the Mongolian chicken and the Mongolian steak. The Mongolian chicken had a very nice spicy sauce, and the Mongolian steak was surprisingly tender (even when we had it delivered to our home), with just the right amount of fatty parts. But the icing on the cake for me is their Thai milk tea! It tastes exactly the way I like it, and solidified Red Koi as my go-to Asian restaurant.



Luna de Miel (6a Avenida Norte, #40) -- A creperie with both sweet and savory crepes, this restaurant quickly crept high up on my favorites list. I usually go with a savory crepe, and it comes quick to your table without any embellishments, just pure goodness inside. Their menu is fairly big with classic savory crepes like ham and cheese, and ones that are Guatemala fusion, like the pepian crepe or the beans, cream, and eggs crepe (a typical chapin breakfast combination). I once had a delicious crepe that had a coconut curry sauce with mango, and another -- my favorite so far -- that had mushrooms and blue cheese. Most of the ingredients and combinations sound really simple, but taste really good.


The sweet crepes range from typical plain Nutella, to some resembling a banana split, served à la mode. Aside from crepes, they have salads and sandwiches, and a good selection of fruit smoothies. They have a huge variety of pre-concocted combos, and you can also make your own. Food aside, the ambience of the restaurant is very friendly. It has two floors, the second being a terrace, which makes it perfect for hanging out on a sunny day.

Those three above I would rate as my top three favorite restaurants in Antigua. A few others I enjoyed below:

Cactus Grill (Taco Shop) (6a Calle Poniente, #21) -- This restaurant is a trendy little taco shop that is a little different from the usual Mexican and Guatemalan fares with shrimp and fish tacos on the menu. It's on the mid-range price wise, so not a place I'd frequent as often, but so far, I've loved all the tacos I've tried. My favorite might be the shrimp tempura tacos (the batter was perfect), and the shrimp chipotle taco as well as the shrimp and bacon tacos are also delicious. Aside from their tacos, which I'll admit are a bit small, they have burritos and nachos, which are on the bigger side.



Saberico (7a Avenida Sur, #6A) -- A very "natural" garden restaurant with its use of fresh, healthy, organic, and artisanal ingredients, we found it to be a great brunch place. On our first time eating there together, we shared the waffles, Spanish tortilla, and English muffin sandwich. Despite being touted as a natural restaurant (something I don't really pay attention), I really enjoyed the meal. Everything tasted very fresh and delicious, and was very filling.


The open air vibe makes it lovely to just spend some time relaxing and eating there, and its picturesque interior makes for some Instagram worthy posts and/or photoshoots. ;)


They have a large menu with sections for salad, burgers, sandwiches, soups, pizza, pasta, and main dishes. Another highlight is their dessert menu, and also their chocolate truffles which I've been gifted and can vouch for their deliciousness.



El Viejo Café (3a Calle/6a Avenida Norte, #12) -- A cozy cafe located on the corner north of the Spanish cultural center, they serve traditional and continental breakfasts accompanied with bread fresh from their bakery, and a cup of Antiguan coffee. On this particular time, I tried the English breakfast which was their bread served with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, crispy bacon, and an egg, while Chris had the Montados a Caballo, which were two fried eggs on top of broiled beef sirloin with ranchero sauce. While mine was appetizing, I was a little jealous of Chris' dish because the steak was so good!


The picture I have is of our breakfast spread, but we've also tried the place for both lunch and dinner, and gave the food two thumbs up both times. For one lunch we had the sandwiches which were huge and filling, and made with their homemade chapatas or baguettes (your choice). One night, I was craving a creamy pasta, and I found the chicken spinach pasta on their menu. It's hard to find a good cream pasta in Antigua, so this one definitely hit the spot. I can no longer find it on the menu online, so I hope they didn't take it away!

Doña Luisa Xicoteneatl (4a Calle Oriente, #12) -- Another good place to get breakfast is at Doña Luisa; they have a lot of egg dishes (omelettes, fried eggs, and eggs cooked lots of other ways), potato plates (like hash browns or baked potatoes), and some good old beans for a Guatemalan twist on it. It's a simple but hearty meal, and they have a bakery next door where you can buy fresh bread -- we like their banana bread and the orange chocolate bread.



Entre Carnes Express (5a Calle Poniente, #4B) -- We randomly ate here when another restaurant we wanted to go to was closed, and were glad we did; we finally found a steak place! It has a simple menu offering meat dishes (mostly grilled beef and pork cuts, plus some chicken). While the meat pieces look small at first, they come with a generous serving of two sides of your choice. We tried the arrachera and puyazo cuts (which are, I think, skirt steak and rump steak respectively), along with mashed potatoes, spinach, and roasted vegetables. The plates were inexpensive, everything was delicious, and the quality of meat good, so most definitely good value for your money. We were also given a tangram puzzle we could play with while waiting for our food, which was a fun touch.




Petra (4a Calle Oriente, #5A) -- We had the most lovely dining experience in Petra, which you can read about over here. That random act of kindness aside, we did enjoy the food at Petra. It was high up on my to try list, because I had been craving hummus for a really long time. The menu is small, but they had good hummus which was served with fresh and hot pita. We also had the falafel and a chicken shawarma, and some refreshing hot Arabic tea. It's a small restaurant that's hidden in the interior of a store which can make it hard to find, and has a bit of erratic hours (it took us three tries to finally arrive when it was open), but I'd say it's definitely worth the trip.



The Exit Inn (4to Calle Oriente, #5A) -- A small restaurant with an even smaller menu, Chris raves about the burgers here, and they didn't disappoint. We'll have to go back so I can remember what exactly the burgers and fries had on them, but description aside, they were delicious. The place is in the same location as Petra (in the same small complex), but has a more regular (or should I say followed) schedule.


I have no pictures, but a bonus one I'll mention is San Simon, since it's in the same complex as Exit Inn and Petra. San Simon is a quirky and (extremely) tiny bar, where the bartender will craft up your drink based on what you want, say "something with rum and bitter" or "something with vodka and sweet." The drinks are creative and delicious, and it's always fun to just go up with a "surprise me."

Caoba Café (5a Avenida Sur Final) -- A new find for me, I only ate here recently when my sister was visiting. She loves organic food, and found this restaurant for us to try out, and afterwards proclaimed it one of the best farm-to-table meals she's ever had. While I'm no expert, I will agree that the food was delicious!


We tried the lamb burger which was mouthwatering, a half portion of their house salad with some grilled chicken, and a sweet potato starter that was seasoned with cayenne pepper and turmeric. The flavors of all our dishes were rich and tasty, and each bite left me wanting more. We had some healthy fruit smoothies to go with our meal, and they were very refreshing.


They also have a Farmer's Market every Saturday, and while it's located on the outskirts of the town, they have a free hourly shuttle service. The farm is beautiful, and the place is well worth a visit.

Hector's Bistro (1a Calle Poniente, #9) -- This last restaurant (for now) was one that was high on our must try list, but because of its price range (it's on the higher end), we were saving it for a special occasion. Last May, our first anniversary came, so we made it a date to have dinner at Hector's. The restaurant's warm and cozy atmosphere made it all the more perfect for the occasion.


A French bistro, the food at Hector's did not disappoint. We knew that we would want to try each other's dish, so we decided to share the duck and the beef tenderloin. The duck was a grilled duck breast served on top of potato and carrot dauphinoise, alongside roasted grapes and crème fraiche. I hadn't had roasted grapes before (at least not that I can remember), it was a very surprising sweet taste that complimented the dish well. The beef tenderloin was accompanied with fried potatoes and spinach, and a to-die for sauce made with white wine, creamy blue cheese, and chipotle. The sauce was mouth watering, and my only complaint was the restaurant didn't serve bread. I was imagining how good it would have been to eat up the last of the sauce with the bread. Paired with a glass of red wine, the meal was complete, and I didn't want my last bite to come.


Again, while it leans on the higher end of one's budget, the food is worth it, and it was money well spent.

There are a few more restaurants I like but have no pictures of (I can't believe I can't find a picture of our go to pizza place: Central Park Pizzeria), and still more restaurants on our must-try list, but which we haven't made it to yet. I'll definitely have to make another post when I get around to trying them.

Comments