Teaching Stories (Part 8... and the last)

In a blink, final exams were taken, classrooms packed up, and the school year has come to an end. There’s been a lot going on, leaving me no time to process my thoughts until now. I’ll get to that in a bit, but first, some last few events at the end of the school year.


A — what seemed like a last minute — event that we attended was an Expoferia. The schools in the sector were each tasked to do an expo of events that happened at the school throughout the year. Aside from recreating posters and information of certain events (e.g. Science and Math Week, International Corn Day), we also had to come up with some sort of activity for the students to do while they visited our booths. 



On October 1st was possibly one of the students’ favorite days in the entire year: Día del Niño or Children’s Day. Throughout the year they have Mother's Day, Father's Day, Teacher's Day, etc. where they are always tasked with making gifts and doing performances. On this day, the tables are turned, and it's all about them. We had no classes, but the students came in for some fun, mainly dances performed by the teachers. 


We had four groups, and the teachers went all out for the kids, donning costumes, most which were tailor-made! My group went as the fairy friends of Tinkerbell, and I got to save a few quetzales when the teachers agreed to make a somewhat DIY version for costumes.


The teachers danced and in between performances we had a few games and snacks for the kids. When all was done, the students split up into their grade levels and waited for their lunch. Since there was a lot of waiting time, we English teachers decided to hand out our gifts to the students.



Depending on the grade level, the kids received crayons, colored pencils, stickers, pencils, or pens. The little ones put their gifts to use right away and started drawing to pass the time.



I flitted between the grade levels hanging out with the kids, and taking pictures as usual with the little ones who always love to smile for the camera.


On our last Friday at the park -- and the last day of the school year -- the students (and myself too) were surprised with a mini party. We had three piñatas, chips, soda, and gift bags which were all generously donated.



After the festivities, the kids spent the rest of the time just running around and free playing all over the game area. It was a bittersweet morning being the last day of school, but getting to hang out with a few of my favorite kids. I loved, as I always do, spending time with the kids, especially when we’re outside of the classroom and they just want to hang out with you and talk with you about the most random things.


Last year, I wasn’t able to attend the school graduation since I had travel plans, but this year, I made sure to stay put long enough to attend. It was a short and simple ceremony for the Kinder and the Sixth grade students. First, the students were called up one by one and they were given their diploma by their teacher, and then their parents came to give them a graduation ring, which apparently is a thing here (even the Kinder kids got one).


It was followed by handing out of medals, and then symbolic handing-over ceremonies. In the pictures below, a Sixth grader handed over a candle to symbolize light. There was also a book and a notebook given to symbolize wisdom and knowledge.


Then the event was over, and group pictures were taken. Despite a few of their faces, they truly were happy.


I hung around after saying goodbye to the kids, and posing with them for pictures. The Kinder kids hold a special place in my heart because they're the class I taught and assisted in the most. While I didn't teach Sixth grade, I assisted in many of their classes this year, but what was most impressive was their growth from last year (without sugarcoating it, they were the most awful class). It was just a simple moving up ceremony and graduation, but I had in me a small sense of pride and happiness for the kids.


Teaching continues to be as challenging, though infinitely rewarding. There have been plenty of moments of hardship and frustration, but even more moments of warmth and pride when being with the students. As with each year that passes, I continue to learn and grow as a teacher, and I'm thankful for everything the experience has taught me. This year at UPAVIM was no exception, and I’m glad I stayed a second year. It has been very uplifting seeing the changes we made last year put into place, and continuing to develop the English program.

More than that, I have loved getting to deepen my relationship with the kids, and also the Guatemalan teachers. I have received so much respect from a lot of students, merely because of the fact that I stayed a second year. Aside from that helping form a bond with them, it also built trust, what with the students being so used to volunteer teachers leaving year after year. It is such a blessing and a privilege to be working with children; as much as I teach them, they teach me so many things in return. It has been lovely likewise forming relationships with the Guatemalan teachers. I feel that I was able to become closer with them and form a more personal relationship, which has evolved from just being friends on Facebook to being invited to birthday parties and baby showers.

I’ve worked with so many children in my life — whether at schools or in CISV — and they hold a big place in my heart. As much as I try to remember them all, there are faces that blur and names that blend and which I forget, but the memories remain clear and vivid, and I will forever hold them dear.

Comments