Welcome Week at the University of Navarra

Since September 8 I've been taking an intensive course for Spanish. But the past week was the official welcome week for the International Students.

Tuesday morning we registered, and I was overwhelmed by the number of students. There were so many! I met a lot of people whose faces I remember but names I forget. Aft
er everyone registered they ushered us into a conference room and began the orientation. We were introduced to a bunch of important people who told us a lot of stuff. Most of it was in Spanish but I was seated beside a guy from El Salvador who was nice enough to translate the important points to me. There was a lot of talk about the International Office, registration of classes, University Clubs, and other things.

After the orientation we were divided into smaller groups and went on a tour around the campus. At the end of the tour we had lunch outdoors and they served us paella from the "Paella Gigante." It was a HUGE paella, and very delicious. I ate with and got to know a girl from France named Mimi doing the Bridge Year Program like me, the guy from El Salvador named Javier who is 17 years old and studying Law!, Matias from Lithuania also studying law, and Allison from the US studying Economics.



I was extremely forgetful today. Not only had I left my camera in my apartment, but I left my keys in the apartment as well. So here is a picture of the Paella Gigante I downloaded off the internet. It was seriously that big!




On Wednesday we had more orientation, more talks and everything. Then we were divided up according to what we would be studying. I and the other students doing Bridge Year transferred to a smaller room. We were few, about ten or so, most where from the United States. Rocio gave us a brief introduction then left us with previous Bridge Year students who answered whatever questions we had. I sat with Mimi, the French girl, who doesn't speak much English. So during the Q&A, I was translating for her. I probably spoke in the wrong tense and with the limited vocabulary I had, but still it was something!

In the afternoon we had another orientation about the library then divided into groups and went on a tour of Pamplona. The students from the International Committee pointed out various sites, bars, parks, stores, libraries, etc. We ended up in Plaza del Castillo then walked down to two bars where we got free pinchos! (Pinchos are Spanish appetizers, called 'Tapas' in other parts of Spain.)

Thursday, the third and last day, was a full day excursion to San Sebastian, a nearby city. We met up on campus then took a bus to San Sebastian. It was a short trip, an hour, I spent most of it talking with Mimi. In San Sebastian we started off with a tour from one of the girls fro the International Committee. After, we had the whole day to do whatever we wanted. I went around with different people talking, drinking coffee, walking on the beach, talking, and eating.

Classes start on Monday already but for the Bridge Year students, we spend the week "shopping for classes." We'll attend various classes then next Monday we'll register for the ones we want to take.

Comments