Getting my Residency Card

This week, I’ve been working on getting my residency card, which will allow me stay on Pamplona (since my visa is expiring on October 28).

I was able to completely finish registering and paying for my tuition on October 3. Only then could I start working on my visa. There’s a guy, Aires, at the University’s International Office that helps students out before having to go to the police station. I e-mailed him, but the earliest appointment he gave me was for October 10. I met with him and he told me the list of documents I would have to get. When I told him my visa was expiring on October 28, he told me I needed to move fast. He told me to get all my papers ready and meet him again on Tuesday. One of the requirements was a Certificado de Empadronamiento, which I had to get at the Ayuntamiento (Town Hall). I started worrying because the Ayuntamiento is only open from Mondays-Fridays and in the morning.
On Monday, I had no choice but to skip classes. I went to the Ayuntamiento right after xeroxing the letter and I.D. I had to show them. I got a little lost but managed to find the office. I was early so I didn’t have to wait that long. But once I was called, there were some complications. Much, much later, I emerged with my Certificate.

The next day I met with Aires again (missed yet another class) and he checked all my papers and made sure they were all in order. Then he told me that I had to go to the police station on Thursday at 12, meaning I had to miss classes yet again. I got lost on my way there, but managed to arrive at quarter to 12. There was a line though, and I ended up waiting for an hour and a half!

I read Harry Potter (in Spanish) but then it started to drizzle. Then the guy in front of me asked me if I was Sofia Gomez, then introduced himself as Adi. Apparently Rocio told him about me (“She’s tall and she looks like a Filipina”). He’s also a Filipino and did the Bridge Year Program last year. We passed the rest of the time talking, and he couldn’t believe I wasn’t going home for Christmas. (“But Christmas is such a pamilya time!”)
When we finally were able to enter the office (we were waiting outside), I got kinda nervous because the lady handling us was a little sungit. When it was my turn though, my papers were all in order and she was relatively nicer. After she processed my papers I then had to go to the bank, pay, and then go back to the police office. Fortunately, the line at the bank was short. When I returned to the police station, I waited a few more minutes where they made me sign papers and they got my fingerprints. Two and a half hours after I first arrived, I emerged with my “temporary card” (which is a piece of paper, albeit an importanat piece of paperr). I have to return in a month to get my actual card.
But I’m finally glad that’s all done. Now I can relax and look for other things to do. I’m proud of myself though for going to the Ayuntamiento, Police Station, getting my documents, etc. by myself.

Oh, I've finished reading Harry Potter as well.

Comments