Last week & My birthday + Olimpiada Solidaria

Last week was a pretty hectic week, and I didn’t find much time to blog. By Thursday, I had to have read the prologue and Chapter 1 of El Quijote for my Literature class. On on Friday I had a Redacción Exam, a presentation about El Camino de Santiago, and a paper to hand in about the current law of tabaco in Spain.

Needless to say, I spent the whole week researching, studying, preparing, reading, and staying up late. Come Thursday, Literature class went pretty well and I was able to understand what I was reading. The Redacción Exam was pretty hard, and I handed my exam in five minutes before time was up. I was so nervous during the start of the presentation that I completely forgot the history and origin, but thankfully, everything else went well. But at least now, that’s all done!





Saturday morning I woke up late. I went to mass then headed to the train station to pick up Julie and Maya. Julie and Maya are my cousins from Barcelona who came the weekend to celebrate my birthday! I was really happy to see them and they told me that my Spanish is really good which made me even happier.

We went to book a room at the hostel first then had lunch at a nearby restaurant with Marina. Afterwards we walked around the university with Marina playing tour guide. I showed them the apartment next then we headed to the commercial center. We saw Plaza del Castilla and the Encierro statue then went shopping. After walking around we had merienda at a café, which we later realized was the same restaurant we had lunch in!

There was a dinner in Larrabide for ShanShan and me, whose birthday is also November 16. ShanShan’s Chinese, and the dinner was Chinese styled. We had rice and stir fried beef as well as soy sauce, which I was really craving for.

On Sunday I had breakfast with Julie and Maya then we walked around Yamaguchi Park taking pictures and making kwento. I brought them to the station and they caught the 12:30 train back to Barcelona. I really enjoyed having my cousins around, and it made my birthday a greater day.

And then my mom called me from my grandmother's house and I spoke with my siblings, cousins, and lola. It was really funny because I couldn't really hear well and I kept mistaking what they were saying. But all in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable phone call (the longest one I've ever received) and I realized that I miss you guys more than I thought I did.

For lunch, I ate out with Bea, Marina, and Maria at Shamrock’s. Good food and even better dessert! After lunch we went to ShanShan’s apartment and had coffee with the other girls.

Then Maria and I watched High School Musical 3! It was pretty funny because all the other people in the theatre were ten year old girls and (about three boys) and their parents. But still. The songs were still in English and I quite enjoyed the movie. Okay, I enjoyed it a lot. I was the only one clapping and cheering at the end.

We went to mass after then for dinner I had a surprise of a sort of chocolate pudding and good company. A really great weekend, and I enjoyed my birthday.

Thanks to everyone who wished me a Happy Birthday! :)

(Pictures to follow when my cousins send me the pictures and when Ange tells me how to upload the few pictures I have from my camera. I forgot to put in the memory card and so the pictures are stuck in the internal memory.)

By the time Monday came around, I was glad that everything had settled down, and I'd finally be able to get some sleep. As well as siesta after lunch! Bu then I found out in class on Monday that we were to have a Spanish Partial Exam the next day and then I remembered that I also had to read Chapters 2,3 and 4 of El Quijote, as well. So it was 'Goodbye, siesta and hello, studying!'

But a positive thing about studying (I mean, aside from the fact that you'll get higher marks when you study): a sort-of-oraganization, Olimpiada Solidaria. La Olimpiada Solidaria de Estuido is an "innovative action for the development of education and awareness of solidarity." It was created by a Spanish NGO in 2003, and aims to finance and create educational projects in specific countries (the countries change every year).

This year is the sixth year it is being done, and it lasts from November 5 to December 5. For every one hour you study, one euro will be donated by the sponsors to finance the educational projects in Ecuador, Cameroon, Haiti, and Angola.

There are specified study places that are affiliated with the organization and Larrabide is one. The Olimpiada Solidaria is also done in a few other European countries.

So while I’m studying, I’m also helping another child receive an education. How cool is that?

For more information, you can visit: olimpiada solidaria de estudio.

Comments