Random photos from life so far

When we first moved into our apartment, we didn't have much food. Our fridge looked like this - that's my bottle of taba ng talangka from back home.


We went grocery shopping that afternoon, and for our first dinner at home I bought a bottle of wine and cooked some lentejas.

Blurry pic of our first dinner at home



 Random story: I love lentejas, but it's not a very popular dish with Spanish children. (It would kind of be the equivalent to America's "eat your veggies.") So in some of the classes whenever the kids would ask me what my favorite Spanish food is and I say lentejas, they always make a face!


The Basilica de Nuestra Señora de las Angustias which is just 2 minutes from my apartment. Feel so lucky to be able to hear mass here every day.

So beautiful!
 I really love how Granada is such a walkable city and everything feels so clean and fresh (such a welcome change from Makati). I leave near the river which is lined with plenty of parks and plaza. Below is the Plaza de Humilladero where I (try to) jog (every day).


Sunset during yesterday's afternoon jog
Walking to and from school, this is one of my favorite spots. It's one of the many bridges crossing the river and you get a lovely view of the houses in the Realejo area, the mountains, and the sky.


And this is my school. It's not very big (according to my coordinator) with some 700 students. They have three floors of classrooms + departments, a small cafeteria, an inside gymnasium, and an outdoor recreational area.


On the Wednesday of my first week of work, the school had a welcome lunch for all the teachers. I got to meet a lot of them, talk to a few of them, and had some jamón, queso, and a bit of that giant paella!


 A few nights ago Lyle and I were craving for Filipino food. We looked up a few easy recipes and decided to try some afritada since we had the ingredients on hand. The meat and the potatoes were a little too tough, but the taste was good. We were happy eaters that night. Also, I can finally cook rice on the stove! After watching Lyle for a few days, I finally tried it myself and it came out fine.


On our way back from our hike today, there was a small procession on Calle Reyes Cátolicos. We don't know what it was for though... still have to look that up!




And just this afternoon, Elisa was trying to cook but the fire was so weak. We then realized we were out of gas. We took out the bombón, but couldn't figure out how to change it. So we got a little help from our portero who showed us what to do.


I'm slowly but surely and happily settling in and getting used to life in Granada. :)

Comments