Settling in: getting a phone number, bank account, and NIE/TIE

Aside from an apartment, the three other important things I'd be needing for life here was a phone number, a bank account, and my NIE and TIE. Luckily our apartment came with wifi already set up (and included in the rent!), so we didn't have to worry about that.

1. Getting a phone number

Getting a sim card and phone number was easy and took all but five minutes (all you need is your passport number). After researching a bit on the different phone carriers and plans, I went with Orange. I'm on a prepaid plan and for €10 a month I get 1gb of data. Most people here in Spain use WhatsApp, so you don't really need load/credit for texting.

I had unlocked my iPhone back home, but unfortunately it didn't work here in Spain with the Orange sim. So as of now, I'm currently not using my Spanish number, and still waiting for a friend's mom to bring me a phone when she visits Madrid at the end of the month. (Smartphones here are crazy expensive, even the secondhand ones).

2. A bank account

Bank account are essential for auxiliares because the schools directly deposit the money into your account. (And well they make handling your money more convenient if you're going to be living here for 8 months). To set up an account you need an NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero, which is an identification number for foreigners living in Spain). NIEs take a while to get but we received a letter from the Junta de Andalucía (the Andalucian regional government) to give to the bank explaining our situation and asking them to facilitate opening our bank account without an NIE. It's hit or miss, some banks will help you set up an account while others will insist that you need an NIE. We decided to go with BBVA, a big well known bank. The first branch we went to wouldn't let us open an account, but another branch we went to (which was actually in a more convenient location than the first), were more helpful. The lady set us up with a youth account which was free and supposedly has no fees, charges, or commissions and there's no minimum balance required to maintain the account, and we were told to come back as soon as we had our NIE, so they could input it in the system.

When we did get our NIEs, we went back to the bank but we were told they needed the actual residency card. However, I already received my debit card and we were told that we could start using the account normally.

3. The NIE and TIE

Last but most important thing we needed to get was an NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero), our identification number, and a TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero), the card with the NIE, which is sort of like a residency card. We had to go to the Oficina de Extranjeria to get this, and it was a bit tricky since they're only open for applications until 2pm, and we have work usually until 1pm, and the office is some 40 mins away by walking or 20 mins by bus. We were also pretty confused with what exactly the requirements were since different sites online told us different things. In the end, we went on a Friday, our day off to inquire about everything we'd need.

When we got to the office we showed her the letter we received from the Junta, and she gave us the application form and told us what documents we'd need. She then told us to come back on Monday since they weren't accepting anymore applications that day.

During the week though I did a little more research and I found out that NIEs are valid for life (they never expire), which means the NIE I had when I studied in Spain 6 years ago, is still my NIE number. (And I accidentally left my old residency card back home, which means I didn't remember my number so I had to ask my sister to take a picture of it for me). I still filled out the application form though and got my documents ready just in case.

We had work the whole week and weren't able to make it back to the Oficina de Extranjeria until Friday. When we got there, I told the lady at the reception that I already had an NIE, so all I needed to do now was apply for my TIE (the card). Luckily the documents needed were pretty much the same, so I was able to get an appointment for the same day. (I was actually missing one but I decided to try my luck anyway and go see the guy.)

When Lyle was called I accompanied her to the table and the guy processed her papers. My number was actually two numbers after her, but since I was already there, he processed mine too. I explained to him that I already had an NIE. He found my number in the system, and I just had to apply for the TIE. I submitted the same documents, but I was missing my medical certificate and my police clearance (it wasn't on the list of documents required, and I had left it back in the apartment -- bobo, I know). Fortunately he was really nice about it; he just made me write a note that said that the Spanish Embassy in Manila had a copy of those documents, and then sign it! So all in all it was good and lucky day at the Oficina. Now we just have to pay the fee at a bank, and then go pick up our TIEs in two weeks.

Comments