Antigua Eats 2

Whenever Chis and I decide to eat out, I'm always torn. On the one hand, I love going back to our favorite restaurants or our tried-and-tested ones, but on the other hand, I also really love trying new restaurants. Over the last months we've tried some new ones, and revisited some olds one, and I've rounded up another list to add to our Antigua Eats (Part 1 of which is over here).

Before discovering Red Koi, Kabuki (6ta Avenida Norte, 14A) was my go to Asian restaurant, albeit it was more just Japanese food. I satisfied my tempura cravings here, and a few months back tried some yakitori which was new on the menu, and liked those even better. The sushi is not the best here -- though it is still delicious -- but the other plates on their menu have made my stomach very happy.


The ramen craze hit Manila several years back, but I was never a fan until I went to Japan. I don't crave it often, but every now and then, I do enjoy a good bowl of ramen. I was excited when I found out that a chef friend of mine was opening the first ramen shop in Guatemala after traveling around Asia and learning how to make ramen in Japan. He opened Kombu in Antigua (1ra Avenida Sur, 19C), and we went one day to try it. I ordered the res shoyu while Chris had the picante. Mine was good, but the picante was even better. It was perfect a chilly evening -- like when we went for dinner --, or for whenever you're craving ramen.


We haven't been venturing out for breakfast or brunch as much lately, but a few weeks back we went to The Bagel Barn (5ta Calle Poniente, 2). It's a small space but with a huge selection of bagels and toppings. The first time we ate here last year was the first time in my adult life I remember trying a bagel (thumbs up!). The second time around I tried a BLT. It might not have been very traditional, but it was delicious. It's not pricey either, and thus makes a good breakfast spot. On the weekdays, they have deals on certain bagel combos too.


We had been hearing about Santa Rosa Burgers Club (1ra Calle Oriente, 10) being touted as the best burgers in town, and finally made it there to try it. I'll have to say, it just might be true! (At least for me). The burgers were not too fussy, but delicious and flavorful. It was a "neat" burger, with not too much spilling out of the bun, and just the way I like it. They're really cheap too, which is another plus in my book.


As mentioned in my last post, my go-to pizza place is Central Park Pizzeria. They have a good menu of pizzas, pastas, and calzones, and a few months back expanded it to include more bar chow. We used to stick to ordering their pizzas which have fun toppings, but I once ordered the penne alla vodka and loved it. Chris has also since discovered their carnivore calzone which has become his new favorite. I veer towards the traditional cheese pizza... boring, as many people will say, but I love it! They deliver too, which is a nice plus for when you're looking for a relaxing night at home.


These next two restaurants were featured on my first post as favorites, and they still remain on the top two. Pappy's BBQ continues to serve excellent food, and we keep going back for more. I enjoy restaurants that don't go overboard with their menu, sticking to the few, but top quality items. Pappy's recently added a nacho appetizer to their menu. We gave it a shot, and it was oozing with deliciousness. We loved it so much, that we've now added it to our regular orders, getting one to share each time we're there. 


Red Koi remains my go-to Asian restaurant, providing comfort every time. We recently went for Valentine's Day and shared a steak, which, while it wasn't particularly Asian, was delicious.


As part of their Valentine's Day promotion, they served us free dessert: taro ice cream. This promo was actually the main reason I wanted to eat here on Valentine's Day, and it did not disappoint. It. Hit. The. Spot. Much like the Thai iced tea I ordered on my very first time, the taro ice cream tasted exactly how I was expecting it to taste. I now have another go-to comfort food for when I'm missing a taste of home.


Writing this post got me craving these restaurants, but then again, when am I not. Now to decide if my next pick will be an old favorite or a new restaurant to try. :)

Comments