November Happenings

So November's rolled around and the city is beginning to show it's Fall colors. Such a pretty season it is, with the leaves changing colors and falling to the ground.


Unfortunately, Fall also means the days are getting colder. This is what my weather app showed a few mornings ago. 0°? No thank you very much.




We had a lot to celebrate this November - from Elisa's birthday on the 2nd to Lyle's birthday a few days later. Since we were heading to Rome on Friday, we did a bit of pre-celebration on Thursday night. Elisa and I tried to surprise Lyle after her tutorials (it was a terrible fail), and we went out for tea, dinner, and drinks.

November babies
All that jamón at La Cueva
€1 margaritas for Lyle's birthday salubong
And then it was my birthday the weekend after. We were at Málaga for the weekend (post coming soon), so we had dinner out on Monday at none other than 100 Montaditos.


They have this insane new promo where montaditos are 50 cents (!!!) on Mondays! So we got all that below + another jarra of tinto de verano not pictures all for €10!

So cheap yet so good
Then Lyle bought me some blueberry cheesecake for dessert!


I had been wanting to check out the Mercado de San Agustín for a while now, but I never seemed to be able to catch it open. I finally Googled it's opening hours and learned that it was only open in the mornings (while I was at work), and only from Tuesdays - Saturdays. (I had gone to check it out on Fridays and Saturdays before, but in the afternoon.) So today, I headed there in the morning and finally got to set food inside.


It's your typical market with meat, cheeses, seafood, vegetables and fruits. I think it's a pretty new building, and it's very spacious compared to many of the other markets around Spain. It was nice to look around, but nothing special.

One of these days I'm going to buy some fresh shrimp.
You could buy food that they'll cook for you on the spot




We found this one stall selling sushi, and being the sushi lover that I am, I had to try it out.


It was delicious - the fish was so fresh.


Speaking of food, on the weekends and on some weekdays where I have a bit of down time, I've been trying out some new recipes and learning to cook some more, which is quite fun. I've done my lentejas and croquetas, and tried some new pasta and meat dishes. Lyle and I also tried cooking afritada, menudo, and bistek tagalog. So a few nights ago, Elisa decided to do some cooking for us and made some shrimp scampi.

It was so good, I need to cook shrimp more often.
For my birthday dinner (the night I got back from Málaga), I decided I wanted some sinigang (my favorite Filipino food). We had bought some sinigang mix in Madrid, so we just added pork and tomatoes (we had no time to buy vegetables as supermarkets are closed on Sundays). It was just a powdered mix so it wasn't that hard, but it tasted perfect. Just what I was looking for. I still have half a pack left, and I'm definitely stocking up on more the next time I'm in Madrid.

Sinigang and steaming white rice
And then a few nights ago I was craving for some taba ng talangka so instead of my usual pork chops and rice w/taba ng talangka, I made it into a pasta sauce. Delicious!

So good :)

Comments