Thanksgiving

So yesterday was Thanksgiving, and for one of my English classes I did the presentation on Philippine holidays and festivals since we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the Philippines. To introduce what I was going to talk about, the teacher went on to ask the class what day it was. (Note that I alternate Week A & B so I see this class every other week, but I didn't see them 2 weeks ago since they had a conference to attend).

Teacher: So what day is it today? 
Student 1: November 27. 
Teacher: Ok, yes, but it's the 4th Thursday of the month. What happens? 
Student 2: Sofi comes!

We all had a good laugh and it was a fun way to start the class. And after my presentation they all gave me a round of applause which was surprising, but nice. It felt good to be appreciated, especially by the older students.

Although Spain doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, I do have an American flatmate. So a couple days back Elisa and her friend Katie planned to host a Thanksgiving dinner. We were all assigned a dish to make, and we got together last night for a night of good food and good company.

Our Thanksgiving spread: turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans, roasted potatoes, and gravy!

Thankful for good food!



Elisa cooked the turkey - it was her first time and turned out quite well. Katie is a vegetarian so we had the stuffing on the side instead of in the turkey.

Turkey time
Lyle and I were in charge of dessert. I made a white chocolate mousse topped with berries and Lyle made some delicious leche flan.


Group shot
Thankful for new friends :)
Thankful for fun roommates :)
2014 has been a really great year for me and there are so many things I'm thankful for... thankful for finally completing all my college requirements and graduating, for the opportunity to travel and cross things off my bucket list, for this job that allows me to work and live in Spain, for wonderful old friends and the new ones I'm making, for a loving and supportive family, for football (it had to be said) and the joy of watching Messi play, and for being healthy and safe. I thank God every day for all that He's blessed me with, but today it was especially nice to say it out aloud and share with the table the things we're thankful for. :)

Thankful for Messi ;) who broke two records this past week (top scorer in La Liga and top scorer in the Champions League), scoring a hat-trick in each match.

Comments