Concurso de Villancicos

Every year the University holds a Concurso de Villancicos (Christmas Carols Contest), organized by the Department of Cultural Activities and the student body with the collaboration of UAS, Universitarios por la Ayuda Social (Social Help). This year is the 21st time it is being held, and it was held yesterday. Every year the UAS also has a "Campaña del Kilo" (Kilo Campaign), and in ties with the UAS, each participant must contribute one kilo of any food to the campaign.
Students from the University of Navarra can join. All the groups though were either Colegio Mayores (University Residences kind of like dorms), Faculties (like the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Communication), or University Clubs (like us, Larrabide).


Basically, each group had to present a Carol; it could be traditional, adapted, or original, so long as the lyrics had a Christmas character. The judges would pick three winners while the Student Body picks a fourth. The judging was based on the musical and literary quality, the vocal and instrumental level, as well as the adequacy of the stage use.
The past week, we’ve been practicing our villancico. The lyrics were written by Marina, to the music of Inmortal, a song by a popular Spanish group La Oreja de van Gogh (The ear of Van Gogh). You can listen to the music here.
It’s actually a really nice song so I want to share with you the lyrics:
En un pueblo pequeñito lleno de turistas y de vendedores
Viene una muchacha con un Niño en brazos temblando de frío y sueño
Y el hombre con una sonrisa me mira a los ojos y pide cobijo
Esta ya está lleno, no queda ni un solo sitio
Después los aldeanos vinieron anunciando
Que todos los pastores han ido a adorarlo
Estribillo:
Iré a Belen, iré a portal, iré con todos los que pueda encontrar
A ver al Niño a cantar y a jugar
Con una estrella co nos guié hasta allá
Igual no es mucho lo que puedes llevar
Pero no importa le bastamos los dos
Es Navidad, celébralo conmigo
Una cueva en las afueras, casa de animals, techo ante tormentas
Allé veo a la familia que por bienvenida recibe descaro
Pero al mirar esos ojitos llenos de consuelo y tierno cariño
Supe que mi corazón estaba ya prendido
Y allí yo me quede, jugando con el Niño
Que grande fue su amor y que pequeño el mío. Estrebillo
And a vague translation:
In a tiny town filled with tourists and vendors
Came a girl with a Child in her arms, trembling with cold and weariness
And the man with a smile, looks in my eyes and asks for shelter
This is already filled, there is not one site
After, the villagers came announcing
That all the pastors have gone to worship him
I will go to the belen, I will go to the portal, I will go with everybody I can find
To see the Child, to sing and to play
With a star to guide us there
There is not much that we can bring
But it doesn’t matter, the two of us is enough
It’s Christmas, celebrate with me
A cave on the outskirts, a house of animals, shelter before storms
There I see the family who for a welcome receive audacity (?)
But I look at those little eyes filled with consolation and tender affection
(I can't translate this line properly. Will update.)
And there I will be, playing with the Child
How great was His love, and how small mine
--
The contest was a really fun event. Even though I didn’t understand the lyrics of any song, it was enjoyable to watch, as well as cheer and clap along with the crowd. It was really nice to see the students enthusiastically participate in this event. I was told that the Belagua dorms get really competitive and go into great lengths to come up with a nice number.
Some groups were pretty solemn while other groups were very imaginative. There was one group that did a number with cowboys (though it was pretty funny). Some used traditional Christmas carols while others used international songs like All Star and Mamma Mia! Most everyone had a sort of costume. Some groups dressed up uniformly, some had a theme, and some went totally into it. One of the Belagua dorms had the boys dressed up in shepherd’s clothing with a headgear, and they had human sized cutouts of trees (7 palm trees and a cactus) that danced in the background. One of my favorite numbers had 6 boys wearing blue suits, white top hats, and canes. Some groups had simple choreography while other groups showed off their dance skills. Some groups had no props while some had the trees, umbrellas (which took place in a really nice choreographed routine), and even firecrackers!
The winners were the Faculty of Medicine, Colegio Mayor Belagua Fase 1, and the Faculty of Communication, with the Student Body choosing “A ti la Gloria” by the Colegio Mayor Ayete. Colegio Mayor Ayete performed their number again after winning and I was able to video theirs.
It was a really great event, and I’m glad I participated in it (though we all know how good my singing skills really are).
I have my exams next week but I'll try to find more videos and pictures to share with you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow...a nice prompt post I see! I was there too,but am now back in England...
I hear that the actual videos are posted on the Uni webpage after a few days...can't wait to see them. As you said, the winners were great weren't they...the lead had such an amazing voice! Similarly the faculty of Med were strong...again, the singers had lovely voices....a big bonus! (then again, I guess I'm a little biased as I'm hoping to study Med next academic year!)

Well done for singing...I'll have to listen to the music again so I can remember how the song went!

:)
all the best with exams!
God Bless
Maryja :)