Day 79-81: Virginia & Washington D.C.

From Costa Rica it was off to the U.S. I had a connecting flight in Orlando, and since that was my port of entry, I had to go through immigration, pick up my bag and drop it off for my next flight. The flight from San Jose was slightly delayed and the immigration line was so long, I was worried I would miss my flight. I was able to get my bag at 6:40 which was the time of my flight, but luckily for me it was delayed so I was able to drop off my bag and make it to my gate.

Washington Monument and D.C. city lights as seen from the plane. Back in the U.S. after 10 years!



The rest of the trip went smoothly and my aunt Tita Olyn and cousin Monica picked me up at the Washington airport.

We spent Saturday in D.C. We drove to the city, and then walked along the National Mall. First up, the World War II Memorial.


With Tita Olyn and Fonso




Then we continued on to the Lincoln Memorial. It was quite hot by now as it was nearing noon, but still a welcome change for me from the cold South American weather.

Lincoln Memorial with the many tourists

Lincoln's famous Gettysburg Address
 View of the Washington Monument + the reflecting pool from Lincoln Memorial.


Continued on to the Korean War Veterans Memorial. (It was a morning of memorials).



On our way back to the car, we visited the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Very sad and sobering experience; it was a very good exhibit.


Jefferson Memorial in the distance and the Tidal Basin, near where we parked the car.


The night before, we were actually planning out what we would see today/what route we would take. Fonso kept trying to plan out a route that would lead us to Shake Shack for lunch. Haha. We did end up eating there.


The cheese fries were so good!!
 After our late lunch, we headed to the Newseum nearby. Unlike the other museums on the National Mall, the Newseum is a privately owned and therefore not free (tickets cost $23 + tax). The museum was excellent though, and I really enjoyed it.


The Newseum is an interactive museum of news and journalism, and they have many fantastic exhibitions.

History of the newspaper / news
This exhibit has the front pages of different newspapers from all over the world. They change it daily.
They had a very good exhibit on 9/11 and how the news was reported on that day.
Power and the media exhibit 
Freedom of the press exhibit


Moni and Fonso posing at the Anchorman exhibit

Pulitzer Prize Photographs Exhibit
 Moni and I posing with the Capitol in the distance, from the top floor of the Newseum.


After visiting the Newseum we headed to the Capitol to get some pictures.


The back in Virginia we had Chipotle take-out for diner.


The next day we headed to Clarendon, a neighborhood in Virginia. We walked around and visited some shops.


Including Barnes & Nobles <3 nbsp="" p="">



Then drove to Georgetown, a historic neighborhood in northwest D.C.


Also a commercial district; lots of shops along this road
 We visited the Washington National Cathedral. Has a very Gothic design, but looks really new. It was a huge cathedral; very beautiful.





Then we just walked along the Potomac River before heading back home.

Potomac River
Key Bridge connecting Georgetown, Washington D.C. and Arlington, Virginia


Comments