Day 91: Lower Manhattan

The next day, I put on my rubbershoes and prepared myself for a day of walking all over Lower Manhattan. First, I went back to the High Line, since I wanted to walk it again, but this time more slowly. (In a bobo moment I realized that I brought my camera but left my memory card at home. Buti na lang it was still the start of the day, so I was able to take pictures on my iPhone. So not so great quality photos for this post).

It was my second time around at the High Line but I was still so amazed and impressed by it.

Walking along the High Line


Old railroad tracks
Old railroad tracks
Lots of benches and open spaces
One of the viewpoints on the High Line
You can car watch as you eat
More benches and trees

Lounge chairs built over the old rail tracks
This part had some water so you could relax your feet
View of the Hudson River from the High Line


I walked the whole length of the High Line from 30th Street to Gransevoort Street (which is a bit after 13th St). Then I climbed down and walked to the Hudson River. I walked by the river along the Hudson River Park. It was a beautiful day; perfect for walking around.




Then from there I just walked around Soho, The Village, and Nolita. Stopped by McNally Jackson Books. (I visited a lot of charming bookstores today!)




I had lunch at Delicatessen...

Angus cheeseburger mac n cheese
 ...then headed to Georgetown Cupcakes for dessert. Originally from Georgetown in D.C., they have such cute designer cupcakes - that taste as good as they look!



I tried the Red Velvet
 Then I just continued walking around. I walked up Bleecker Street and popped into a few stores.

Saw 100 Montaditos -- one of my favorite restaurants in Spain!
Murray's Cheese


Book Book


Bleecker Street Records


From Bleecker Street I crossed through Washington Square Park, which is also the area of NYU.



Visited Shakespeare & Co. It was quaint and cozy and, I later realized, not affiliated with the famous Paris bookstore after all.



And then it was on to the Strand Bookstore, which was heaven. The bookstore was huge with rows and rows of books. I lost track of how much time I spent there.







I popped by the nearby Union Square, and took the subway up to Bryant Park.

Union Square
 Bryant Park was a small but lovely park, right by the New York Public Library.



New York Public Library
The lobby of the NYPL
The lobby of the NYPL
Children's room
Children's room
One of the reading rooms - so beautiful
Another reading room
Ceiling at the rotonda
 I headed back to the apartment, had an early dinner, then it was off to Central Park. When I was at the park the other day, I saw a sign for the Film Festival hosted by Central Park Conservancy. It's an annual event hosted by the Conservancy for a week in the summer, where they have free film screenings. This year's theme was "Scenes from Our City" and they showed movies featuring/set in New York.


Tonight's movie was "The Way We Were." It was actually my first time to see the movie, and it was such a nice experience; everyone brought blankets and food, and clapped whenever the Park would appear on the big screen.


Comments